COIL stands for Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL). It means that students from different countries work together remotely in groups of varying sizes to solve a problem together. They use online tools like Skype, Zoom or other platforms to complete a joint assignment. The goal is to develop different 21 century skills, focused on virtual teamwork, intercultural communication and dealing effectively with IT tools. THUAS- lecturers design COIL modules for their students together with lecturers abroad. It is a fun and rewarding experience with one of the advantages being that it reaches 100% of the students – and not only those who can study abroad.


There are many good reasons to COIL.  One of them is the fact that only 22% of Dutch students go abroad on exchange – what about the remaining 78%? There is a clear need to do more of what we call “Internationalisation at home” with COIL being an interesting method to help with that. Secondly, COIL-projects can be directed towards important challenges, think of Sustainable Development Goals and their world-wide relevance, for example.  Contrary to a common myth, COIL does not need expensive technical equipment. It is easy to implement and to be embedded into existing programmes. 

How GO helps with COIL

Within GO we have several experts who are quite experienced with effectively embedding COIL in your programme. This ranges from small-scale collaborations for one small assignment only, includes one-day Hackathons and can even go so far as a semester-long COIL. These COIL-veterans can be your sounding board and advisors on the road to starting up a COIL and to find a partner university to collaborate with. 

Make an appointment with one of our experts via

Staff Testimonial

“Mario and I set off on a lovely Monday morning to travel from Schiphol to Tampere, passing through Helsinki on the way there, to visit the International Week at our strategic partner TAMK…”

Read more

Most wanted

Partner universities of
Student exchange

Funding of
Student exchange

International Placement |
Where to Start?

COIL of Staff
and Students

Staff Mobility