Once you have been accepted by THUAS and the receiving institution to go abroad, there are a few general things you need to keep in mind:

  • Prepare to deal with many forms. Make sure to get them signed and hand them in on time.
  • Get approval from your degree programme at THUAS for the courses that you intend to follow while on exchange.
  • Know the exact start and end dates of your exchange abroad and inform others if this overlaps with the terms at THUAS. Have a valid passport – In general, your passport should still be valid 6 months after returning from your exchange. 
  • Arrange a visa (if required) – If you have a non-EU nationality and/or you will do your exchange outside the EU, chances are you will need an entry visa and/or residence permit. The partner university is usually the one helping you out in getting all the paperwork in order.
  • Arrange the paperwork for your grant(s) – This at the very least means a correct, completed and signed Learning Agreement or study plan.
  • Book your (flight) ticket – We recommend waiting with this until only after official approval from the host institution and/or approval for your residence permit/entry visa
  • Get your Insurance in order:
    • Medical insurance – You must make sure that you have medical insurance for your stay abroad. Be sure to take proof that you are insured with you, either in English or the language of your host country.
    • Travel Insurance.
    • Property Insurance (for your personal property while abroad);
    • Third party liability Insurance (for damage to the property of others)
  • Get accommodation – There are various ways for you to arrange your accommodation abroad. The most common and successful approach is to ask for help from the foreign institution you will be attending. Some countries have campus accommodation where you can stay, which is recommended. You can also seek your own housing beforehand. If you plan to look for accommodation only once you have arrived at your exchange destination (not recommended), you should at least have already arranged an address to stay for the first few days.
  • Check how to arrange for money transfers from home. If you are going outside the Euro zone you might want to arrange for a credit card and take some cash in local currency for immediate needs, such as transport from the airport.
  • Provide the mandatory (emergency) contact information in Osiris, as well as to your family/friends/relatives/degree programme back home and the receiving university.

Student Testimonials

“When the first online lecture came around, I was feeling a little bit better, and kind of liked the fact that I did not have to commute longer than 10 seconds to get from my bed to my class….”

Read more

Most wanted

Partner universities of
Student exchange

Funding of
Student exchange

International Placement |
Where to Start?

COIL of Staff
and Students

Staff Mobility